I love playing the violin. But performing and practicing is a whole lot different from each other. The performance is the sharp sword and practicing is where we sharpen the bluntest of swords. In music, we usually go into our studio and start practicing. Be it scales, etudes (exercises) or our repertoire, we still aim for the same goal. That is PERFECTION.
Don't you find it boring playing the same old thing? What I mean is that won't we find it tiresome to play it alone? The first time I saw the theme of the blog, I wondered...Wait the alone part means like Me and Me alone? In other words, no other humans doing it with me. However, Dogs are not HUMANS. So I decided that just blogging about practicing the violin would not make much sense because... WHO LIKES PRACTICING? Okay maybe some BUUUTTT when we add another dimension to it, it changes a lot. And this 4th dimension that I am talking about is Accompaniment.
My dog a Shih Tzu
which loves to sing, especially when I start to practice my violin. Jussi, my dog, is what some people call a prodigy, but I just call him my accompanist. When I start to play the hard parts of songs, he would join in and sing.Many would ponder:" Wow! How do you train your dog to do that?" My answer? I did not teach him to sing. That was the unusal thing that happened. I was listening to a radio, Symphony 92.4(a radio station that plays classical music), one day where unexpectedly he started whimpering. I ran over to check what was wrong but found nothing. Later, it dawned on me that my dog could SING! Subsequently he started to sing along when I practiced and he sang in tune too! How unusual! Here is a video of him singing to a part of Rachmaninoff's Danse Hongroise. Enjoy!
My dog has had a long history and a pretty unfortunate one. The first owners were a young couple. Due to some committments they could not take care of Jussi. they then left him in a pet shop and paid the shop keeper to take care of Jussi. The shop keeper suggested that they put Jussi up for adoption. Somehow Jussi ended up in my mother's long lost friend whom later gave it to me as a Christmas gift. Since then I have spent 3 1/2 years with my beloved dog.


He is too adorable! :)
ReplyDelete