Sunday, January 23, 2011

Something That Took Place in School (English Blog Assignment)

               Last Friday's 4th Victorian 'Lohei' dinner was great. The teachers enjoyed themselves and so did I. The Parents' Support Group, a.k.a PSG, put together a wonderful evening of fun and games. The two main characters that orchestrated the event was Aunty I-Lin and Uncle KC our emcees that night. At this point of time, you may ask questions like 'Wait, where is the part where you come in?' or 'I thought that no children where allowed that night?'. Be patient my dear readers your questions would be answered soon, I promise. But first I would like to share with you that night's events.

              The night kicked off with a 8-song repertoire by our very own Victoria School Chinese Orchestra. They played a medley of Chinese New Year tunes. Well-known ones like 恭喜,恭喜  and 新年到( both familiar tunes you can hear while walking down Chinatown) where delivered and well-received. Following that was a 8-course meal. The second dish was the traditional Lohei. Lohei is a dish where different ingredients were mixed together with chopsticks.
Each ingredient had a phrase of blessing behind it. For example, ‘年年有钰(yu)’ means having prosperity every year but 'yu' also means fish. So the ingredient is sashimi. 
             "Knock,knock, where is the part where you come in? "Here is. I was asked to perform a few magic tricks to entertain the crowd. Of course I agreed. My arsenal of tricks include Linkin' Rings,


some rope tricks and street magic... of course not forgetting the old faithful card tricks. I tricked Ms Sharma into being my volunteer. Our conversation was something like
            " Ms Sharma, do you mind rasing up your hand for a moment? Yes, thank you."
            ( She gives me a quizzical look but obliges.)
            " For my next trick I need a volunteer..... Oh thank you Ms Sharma for helping me."
            The entire room broke into laughter. I am still smiling as I recall this incident. So now I have answered your question...I hope am sure. The evening included a test on the teachers' knowledge on the school's history. The most exciting part was the bunny dress up. There was also a lucky draw that saw teachers like Ms Tan Jia Ying winning a DVD player and Mr David Lee winning a Nokia C7 Phone, both sponsored by PSG members. Other prizes were also won.
             That was an enjoyable evening. Everyone went home with two mandarin oranges. I was commended by Mr Loh our Principal
. Everyone went home happy but the PSG members were exhausted. I thouroughly enjoyed myself also. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment