Sunday, January 30, 2011

Something I Enjoy Doing Alone (2)

I thought that I might tell you about the classical concerts I attend. Concerts are like watching a movie but the difference is that in concerts you can see or rather hear the mistakes made by the performers. The reason why I attend concerts is explained in my previous blog entry (For those who have not I think you should read it). Recent classical concerts I have attended are like ‘SSO 32nd ANNIVERSARY CONCERT’, ‘From my Life’ and a casual concert by the SSO too. (By the way, SSO is our very own Singapore Symphony Orchestra) I had also gone for one by the Bradell Heights on New Year’s Eve. It was titled Nodame Live. Nodame is a Japanese movie about a conductor, a gifted pianist and a few orchestra members. So the programme that night included music in the classical and baroque era. (You should know what it is if you read my previous post :D) Anyway, just to share with you my experiences in concert halls. Most of them are quite detestable. Here is one of them… There was one concert last year entitled ‘Magic of Brahms’ also by the SSO. Two overly-excited teenage girls were discussing a bit too loudly during the concert
. The problem was that the piece by Brahms included a sudden pause then continuation. During that pause the entire concert hall (it was the Victoria Concert Hall)
could hear this two girls chatting away. It must have been embarrassing for them but it irritated me that the melodious music was interrupted by this two girls. Some people would ask me,’ why do you enjoy going to concerts?’ My answer is because of my love for music and the inquisitiveness in me. I want to be exposed to different types of music and recognise most of them instantly. However just going to concerts would not increase one’s knowledge in the world of music. One has to do research and read up on music. Music is alive. Meaning it changes over time and does not remain stagnant. Reading up on the history of music is also another moment of time I spend alone of which I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment